Select Page Eat Well. Save Much: 7 Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget
Many of us have dealt with the issue of having to choose between paying more to eat healthy or saving money by choosing the less nutritious route. Unfortunately
, this battle between our pockets and our health tends to happens more often than it should. Making the effort to eat a healthy, well-rounded diet can sometimes be more than we bargained for. However, it is still very possible to do so without having to spend a ton of cash. If you would like to figure out ways to maintain a healthy diet while staying within your budget, take a look at these few tips that may be useful for you.
- Make a List and Stick to It
Before heading out to do your grocery shopping, take a few moments to figure out what exactly it is that you will need. Include all details such as quantities, sizes, flavors, etc. You can even make a list of the meals you plan to prepare during the week and what you’ll need for those. This way when you get to the store, you leave only with what you need.
- Eat Before You Shop
- This one ties in well with the previous tip. When we go grocery shopping on an empty stomach, our hunger and taste buds tend to do more of the selecting rather than our list. To ensure that you don’t make any impulse purchases, be sure to eat something before heading out to the store or consider bring along a snack.
- Create an “Eat Out” Budget
- Let’s face it—it is sometimes so much easier to go to a restaurant or to a quick eatery to get a meal than it is prepare our own. However, over time those small purchases add up and we begin to realize that the extra effort to prepare our meals may have been worth it. To prevent yourself from overspending on meals that are not really needed, set aside some cash just for eating out and treating yourself.
- Buy In-season Fruits and Veggies
Produce that is in season tends to be much cheaper than the ones that are not. One option could be for you to select recipes that requires those specific fruits and vegetables and so that you can take advantage of the lower prices.
- Go Generic
- Media and advertising has led us to believe that the more popular name brand foods are of a better quality and taste than others. In all actuality, you probably wouldn’t even be able to tell the difference between name brand and generic foods if you didn’t know which was which. Consider choosing off-brand products occasionally as opposed to name brand in an effort to save a few dollars.
- Try Frozen Fruits and Veggies
- Fresh fruits and vegetables often times cost much more than we are willing to spend. Frozen produce is a good alternative and an easy way to stock up in advance. Add variety to your fruit intake by purchasing a wide array of frozen produce to use for smoothies, soups, mixed veggies, etc.
- Buy in Bulk
- Like anything of value and importance, maintaining a healthy lifestyle takes work and commitment. Frustrations related to money will always arise during life, but it’s important that we not let it cause us to treat our bodies poorly. Give a few of these tips a try so that you can add a little more to pocket while losing a little more from your waistline.
- If you’re someone who quickly runs through foods such as oatmeal, cereal, etc., buying in bulk may allow you to save a significant amount of money. Take a look at the foods that you tend to eat very often and set aside some funds to purchase them separately from another store that may sell them in larger quantities.
I Want to Know:
- Have you tried any of these methods before?
- Are there any tips you would suggest?
- What is the hardest part about eating healthy on a budget for you?
FIERCE Quotes to Live By
When you know you better, you do better
— Maya Angelou
- How to Tell You’ve Healed and Grown
- 4 Things We Can Take Away from Jada Pinkett Smith
- Black Women Matter Too: How to UNPACK Your Place in this Movement
- 4 Ways to Be at Peace During Pandemic & Protests
- 12 Lessons on “Becoming” FIERCE from Michelle Obama
- Beauty & Style
- Beauty & Style
- Boss Moves
- Business & Branding
- Femininity & Womanhood
- FIERCE Confidence
- Health & Wellness
- Men & Relationships
- Passion & Purpose
- Purpose & Success
- Self-Care & Balance
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Truthfully Speaking