Select Page 5 Ways to Ensure You Wake Up Flawless & Have Beautiful Skin
Everywhere you go, people compliment you on how great your skin looks. You get comments like:
“Oh girl. Your skin is beautiful? What are you doing? You just seem to have a glow.”
And get this. You’re not even wearing any makeup!
Who wouldn’t love that scenario? I know I would.
So how do you get that great “glow” and wakeup with beautiful skin that needs minimal makeup and prep in the morning? Follow these five steps to ensure that you wake up looking flawless.
1. Determine your skin-type
The first step is learning how to take care of your skin. Just like your hair, you need to know your skin type. Is your skin Sensitive? Dry? Oily? Knowing your skin type will protect your skin from harmful or ineffective products and help you save time and money. Once you know your skin type, you can purchase the products that will be the most effective for you. If you don’t know your skin type, check the regal resources at the end of the article.
2. Develop a night-time skin routine
Once you know your skin type, start developing a skincare routine that works for you. Your routine should be relatively simple because the more complicated the routine is, the less likely it is that you will stick to.
Most women have a morning skincare routine that they follow. I don’t know anyone who wakes up and doesn’t at least wash her face. However, I do know women who don’t put as much care into their skin at night. For example, have you been guilty of going to sleep without washing your face?
Let me be the first to say that I have, and it’s not cool. My skin looks and feels disgusting in the morning. I get it though. You’ve had a long day; you’re tired and all you want to do is go to sleep. But push through your exhaustion for five minutes.
Cleansing your face at night is important for several reasons:
- As you go throughout the day, your skin produces oil and it mixes with dead skin cells, dust or other environmental pollutants that may be in the air. All this settles on your face and can lead to clog pores. Washing rids your skin of this so it can breathe.
- Many of us touch our face throughout the day, and when we do, we transfer bacteria from our hands to our face and that bacteria sits on our face all day until we wash it off.
- Washing helps your skin properly renew itself. Your skin is constantly regenerating/repairing itself by removing dead or old skin cells. Your skin works the hardest at this process while you are sleeping. When you wash your face at night, you are allowing your skin to regenerate with a clean palette.
- Having a clean face allows products to absorb into your skin and work more effectively. It also allows for better makeup application in the morning.
- Also, if you don’t wash your face at night, you’re putting all that dirt onto your pillow and overtime this can irritate your skin and cause acne or rashes – especially if you don’t wash your bedding often.
The skin naturally sheds dead skin cells, but as we get older, this process does not occur as often. Exfoliating once a week will help to unclog pores and accelerate the removal of dead skin cells that can build up due to the oil in our skin. When you exfoliate, you reveal newer skin that is soft, smooth and clear. For best results, choose an exfoliator that contains either Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) or Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA).
4. Drink more water
Water is essential to your body because it helps keep you hydrated. When your body is getting the proper amount of water, your skin will also be more hydrated. If your body is not getting adequate amounts of water, your skin may look dry, dull and lifeless. Water also helps to rid the body and skin of toxins that can lead to skin impurities.
As mentioned before, your skin renews itself at night because your body is at rest. A good night’s sleep, helps reduces cortisol (the stress hormone) and increases certain growth hormones that are responsible for creating collagen-producing cells that keep the skin firm[i]. So when you don’t get enough rest, your eyes become puffy, you develop bags under your eyes and dark circles.
So girl, if you want to have gorgeous, soft, flawless skin in the morning, take care of your skin at night by showing it a little TLC.
Sample Nighttime Skincare Routine
- Using warm water, wash your face with a cleanser suited for your skin type. Washing with a cleanser rather than water only will help to remove debris and makeup.
- If you wear makeup, be sure to remove all traces of it. You can use an eye makeup remover or a makeup removing wipe prior to washing with your cleanser.
- Apply a moisturizer or night cream depending on your skin concern
- Wash with a mild exfoliating cleanser. You can also use exfoliating pads or an exfoliating brush with your cleanser.
- Once a week, use a face mask that is right for your skin type.
- If you have blackheads, use a pore strip to detoxify and unclog your pores.
I Want to Know:
- What’s your night time routine for flawless skin?
- What products are you using that you love?
[i] “What’s Your Skin Doing While You Sleep?”
FIERCE Quotes to Live By
The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any
— Alice Walker
- 4 Things We Can Take Away from Jada Pinkett Smith
- Black Women Matter Too: How to UNPACK Your Place in this Movement
- 4 Ways to Be at Peace During Pandemic & Protests
- 12 Lessons on “Becoming” FIERCE from Michelle Obama
- Magnetize Your Marketing: How to Use Your Words to Win Hearts & Open Wallets
- Beauty & Style
- Beauty & Style
- Boss Moves
- Business & Branding
- Femininity & Womanhood
- FIERCE Confidence
- Health & Wellness
- Men & Relationships
- Passion & Purpose
- Purpose & Success
- Self-Care & Balance
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Truthfully Speaking