Select Page 10 Ways to Love & Value Yourself More
Recently, Mrs. Viola Davis was referred to as “less classically beautiful” by a NY Times reporter in an article about her new show, How to Get Away With Murder. Mrs. Davis responded with the most self-loving and authentic response:
“I think that beauty is subjective,” she said. “I’ve heard that statement my entire life. Being a dark-skinned black woman — you hear it from the time you get out of the womb.
Classically not beautiful is a fancy term of saying ugly, and denouncing you, erasing you. Now it worked when I was younger; it no longer works for me now. … Because really at the end of the day, you define you.”
As if we didn’t already know that it will always be someone or something to suggest that we aren’t good enough. This will always be a fact! However, often times we are too are the MAIN ones saying this about ourselves. But, Viola’s response reinforces the need for us to forgive ourselves for beating ourselves up internally and to love and define ourselves for ourselves FIRST always! We could all use a boost in this area. It is easier said than done, but until it is done you will forever struggle to feel completely comfortable and confident in your own skin.
Here are 10 ways to give yourself amazing, juicy and wonderful loving daily:
- Hug yourself every morning when you wake up and say “I love you _____________ (insert your name)
- Create a values list and a “must have” list for the friends and men you want in your life. Say “no” to any who do not fit into your vision.
- Forgive yourself for your mistakes, mishaps, and failures
- Write yourself a love poem and tuck it into your pillow. Read before you go to sleep and when you wake up in the morning
- Plan a date night for yourself inside or a night on the town
- Buy yourself flowers (or something similar that brings your joy and pleasure) every week and enjoy its presence in your life
- Take a break and do something relaxing (get a massage, do an overnight getaway at a hotel, sleep in late, take a personal day, etc)
- Kiss yourself on the arms and hands and say “I love you” as many times as possible throughout the day (This is one of my favs…don’t judge! LOL)
- Do one thing that scares you and reclaim your personal power
- Move self-care up higher on your things to do list (ie. exercise, good night’s sleep, eat well, pray, meditate, say affirmations)
I Want to Hear From You:
1. Have you ever tried any of these? How did they work for you?
2. What is still holding you back from loving and valuing yourself?
3. What do you think of Viola’s response?
4. Tweet or Post Your Picture to Social Media with the following attached:
#lessclassicallybeautiful #regalrealness #iloveallofme
Tired of NOT being the empowered, happy, fierce, fearless and magnetic woman you desire to be?
1.Get my FREE Confidence E-Book here. Learn five techniques to upgrade your mindset, lifestyle, and improve your confidence.
2. Start working on boosting your own confidence today by checking out all of the fabulous confidence resources (guides, journals, courses, e-books and coaching) I offer here.
3. Talk with me 1-on-1 for a FREE 20 minute confidence and clarity session to get your mind right and get your life in order!
FIERCE Quotes to Live By
You are the designer of your destiny; you are the author of your story
— Lisa Nicohls
- 4 Things We Can Take Away from Jada Pinkett Smith
- Black Women Matter Too: How to UNPACK Your Place in this Movement
- 4 Ways to Be at Peace During Pandemic & Protests
- 12 Lessons on “Becoming” FIERCE from Michelle Obama
- Magnetize Your Marketing: How to Use Your Words to Win Hearts & Open Wallets
- Beauty & Style
- Beauty & Style
- Boss Moves
- Business & Branding
- Femininity & Womanhood
- FIERCE Confidence
- Health & Wellness
- Men & Relationships
- Passion & Purpose
- Purpose & Success
- Self-Care & Balance
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Truthfully Speaking